With a second attempt at ShrinkyDink Signature Geocoins I found success. The parchment paper made all the difference. I’m very pleased with how my coins have turned out. I now have ten hand made signature coins to drop in my future cache finds. I hope to run across someone else’s coin someday. I’d love to start a collection of signature geocoins. (If you want to collect geocoins, make sure you’re not keeping trackable ones. Those are meant to travel from cache to cache like travel bugs.)
Want to make your own ShrinkyDink Signature Geocoins? Here is how I did it in 10 steps.
1. Sketch your design to get the idea on paper.
2. Once you have your idea, draw a circle three times the size of the coin you want on a separate piece of paper. Incorporate your design within this circle. This will become your template. Tip: draw the template with the permanent marker you will use on your coin. This way the tip size is the same.
3. Place a piece of shrink plastic on top of your template. Trace the design with permanent marker (I used black for this part). You can tape it down to prevent it from moving while you draw.
4. Flip the shrink plastic over and add color to your coin with color permanent markers. It’s okay to go overtop of the design because it won’t be seen from the front.
5. Cut out your coin along the edge of your outer circle.
6. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees (or whatever the directions say on your ShrinkyDink plastic)
7. Place parchment on cookie sheet. Make sure the paper is flat and not over lapping the sides or your coins may shrink curved.
8. Place your cut outs color-side up on the parchment paper.
9. When the oven is ready, put the cookie sheet inside the oven. Make sure you turn the oven light on and watch through the glass. Sometimes the plastic can roll onto itself and you will need to open it back up to prevent it from sticking to itself or another coin. Spread them out to prevent this as well. It should take 1 – 3 minutes for your coins to shrink.
10. Pull the pan out of the oven when the coins are laying flat and shrunk. Lift the parchment paper up off the pan and move it to a cool surface. Quickly (you have ten seconds) flatten any coins that are not already flat. Careful, they may be hot for a moment.
Before and After shrinking:
Once they cool, go find a cache drop your signature coin in, make a blog post about it, and share your awesome new coin with cachers everywhere!
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments section.